Saturday, December 7, 2019

Daomu Biji Book 7 CH1 (English)


Daomu Biji
Book 7: 阴山古楼 (Yīn Shān Gǔ Lóu): Ancient Mansion Down Under
Alt: The Grave Robbers' Chronicles Book 7
Chapter 1: The Beginning
Language: English
Translator: Angélique




After returning to the village, we decided to go back to our homes because we had been away for such a long time, and we also needed the time to come up with a plan. Fats was in charge of preparing the equipment while I continued my task of searching for and collecting documents.

When I arrived in Hangzhou, I immediately began to execute my plan.

When Fats and I were coming up with a plan, I still had not thought about how I was going to acquire the documents, only afterwards did I think more carefully about it. Before anything else, I want to be able to understand more about Pokerface’s life¹ which is only possible if I start from the very beginning. Previous investigations have shown that those within the industry² know little about him. It’s possible that he joined the archaeological team during the eighties of the last century. Surely the team’s organization still has records on them. In those days, those involved in these types of jobs had to have clean records and clear backgrounds. I may be able to find some clues in some of the old records lying in Changsha. At the very least, I will most likely be able to find out about the relationship between him and the organization. Afterwards I’ll either track down one or two people who have known him or go after any given clues. With this, I am prepared to set out on my plan.

The only thing is that the city’s archives, particularly personnel records, are kept strictly confidential. Old records, especially those belonging to the government³, are even harder to obtain. The archaeological team was formed in the early 1980s, so it’s most likely the documents I need are still being kept confidential and wanting to see them won’t be easy.

On the other hand, when it comes to finding the records, the best way is to start the investigation from the research facility that the archaeological team was sent to. Since then, more than twenty years have passed. Not too much time has passed since then, so this facility ought to still exist.

I do not know specifically which research facility in Changsha, only that back then there were not as many of them as there are now. This means that there can only be one research facility that pertains to the archaeological team.

During this time, the majority of the members were students so it’s very likely that the facility is affiliated with a certain university which won’t be too difficult to confirm.

After searching for a while, it was indeed as I had thought. There is in fact an old research facility like I had speculated. It’s currently being merged and its old address is located on the campus of a major university.

That area of the university had been set to be relocated. When Wang and I arrived there, the outside was plastered with the enormous words “DEMOLISH”. The land probably had been sold to a real estate company already. If I had been late by a few more months, there most likely would only be a vacant lot left.

Since the research facility had been merged, the records must have been transferred to the new research facility. They might also still remain inside the record room of the old university. I understand these mass organizations very well, and I don’t believe that these old records from over twenty years ago still pertain to their interests.

When there are matters that are impossible to inquire about, I rely on my connections. I went through Uncle Three’s old contacts several times before I eventually found someone that was currently working in the research facility. Their last name is Du with a very interesting first name, Quan Shan. I gave him two Chinese branded packs of cigarettes, asked about the information I needed, and he immediately admitted that the office had already been moved to a new address, but the records themselves are still being stored inside the university. Because the research facility is a part of the university, many of the employees there are professors employed by the university. If I want to see the records myself, he can take me to see them.  Even though the outer door is a bit inconvenient, the interior is still very spacious. Because of how difficult it would be to find the old records, he advised me not to get my hopes up too high.

Our conversation did not last long. That night, we immediately got down to work.

It is quite apparent that the old university building was originally an old hospital area that had been renovated. The record room is located in the basement below the ground floor. It is about a hundred square meters wide and truly resembles a warehouse.  Du Quan Shan and I followed along a small narrow corridor down to the basement. Below, there was not a single source of light in sight, only pitch-black darkness.  Flashlight in hand, I saw thereunder solely wooden bookshelves arranged in rows upon rows. The shelves were stock full of paper packages containing records, thick and thin, intact and tattered, horizontal and upright. The majority are covered in a thick layer of dust and exuded a damp moldy smell that filled the entire room.

Du Quan Shan told me that all the records after the year 1995 that were commonly used had been removed, the rest were documents that were never used. Presumably, even when the time comes for it all to be demolished, there still would be no one who would want to flip through these records.

I looked at the situation, the atmosphere feeling very gloomy. The dullness of this situation is actually useful because the month of August in Changsha is quite hot, but gets a bit cooler in the evenings. Furthermore, this place is underground, and the coolness is very comfortable. I bite my flashlight, fan my hand a few times, and then begin to thoroughly search the bookshelf in front of me.

Now that I think about it, I know that Tsinghua University offers library management as a major. At the time, I felt that it was very strange. What were you supposed to learn from library management? But when I look at the size of this record room, I finally understand. Anyone who can manage all of this, I ought to call them a genius. Looking at how many bookshelves there are, a normal person’s eyes most certainly would’ve glazed over. That is to say, this is only a record room for the research facility. If this were a national record room, filled with millions of documents, how many people would need to be hired in order to manage it all?

Du Quan Shan was afraid that I would cause some sort of trouble that would harm him, so he stood alongside me the entire time, helping me search, and asked me for a few details in order for him to help me sort out the records.

Because of special reasons, Chinese recordkeeping rules are very detailed. Just by following one certain rule, it can be found, as long as it stills exists. Unfortunately, I am currently like a snake without its head. I only know the general timeframe, and do not even know the archaeological team’s number. In the end, the only way was to flip through each record one by one.

Searched for half a day and still yielded nothing. My plan¹⁰ is to search by year. All the documents here are arranged according to chronological order, so I should be able to find the archaeological team’s records between the years 1980 to 1985 and be able to look up the information inside. In Changsha, although the archaeological team was relatively very active, it certainly did not amount to much. Just about one bookshelf was enough. Unexpectedly, after flipping through all five years worth of records, I still did not find any records concerning the Xisha archaeological team.
Astounded, I ask Du Quan Shan, has it been placed somewhere else?

He shakes his head, basically saying no. Unless it’s being kept inside a secret record room, it would not be here. If not that, it must have already been destroyed.

I silently said it’s impossible, even if the archaeological team was classified, there would be no reason for something like that to happen.

He comforted me, saying that matters like this often happened. Perhaps, like he said, after the archaeological team went missing, the incident was considered a serious matter. In order to keep it a secret, people had to dispose of the records.

We tidied and returned the records back to their original locations, feeling very crestfallen, but I also already predicted that this wasn’t going to be an easy job.

I was a little irritated as I walked out of the record room, having lost two packs of cigarettes, I thought about what to do next. If this road cannot be used, then what Pokerface had said was true, he is someone who has never belonged to this world.

At that moment, I suddenly spotted a path next to the stairs that led further down. It seems that the record room didn’t only have one floor. The way down was blocked by an iron door, locked by very large rusted iron chains. On the door was a paper seal of an unknown date.

"What is down there?" I asked.

"That is the record room from the years before 1950. At the time of the Cultural Revolution, fear of the reactionary sect’s violence caused it to be locked up. It’s already been several decades since then and nobody has opened this door.”

"Is that so?" I held the flashlight and shone it inside. I could clearly see that someone had cut the chains with some pliers. They were left hanging loosely above the door. If I had not looked carefully, I would not have discovered it.



Translation Notes:
**I translated using two different Vietnamese fan translations to compare differences of what was left in and out of both.
** I had to translate the Chinese names that were translated into Vietnamese back into Chinese, so I am unaware of the accuracy
**If I used a different, but similar word/phrase instead of the direct translation, it's because I thought it fit better with the context that it was used in. In the future I will try to stick closer with direct translation and simply explain it's meaning, I apologize as I am still a novice at translating. If one is very wrong, please correct me.
**If you are familiar with the original language (Chinese) or even the source language (Vietnamese), I apologize ahead of time for any lost nuances caused by translation.


¹Pokerface's life (family history)
²Industry = same profession, coworkers
³Government = the Viet translation roughly translates to "political party records, don't obtain" whilst the other translated to "old red sealed records are even more difficult to see" so I came to this conclusion
Nếu tới trễ vài ngày = If I had been late a few more days, Nếu tôi đến trễ mấy tháng nữa = If I had been late by a few more months. Different translations.
One translated "the words had fallen to the ground", the other said words had been plastered outside
Quan hệ = relationships
One translation says the floor, other says the shelves
mắt đã tối đen đi rồi = eyes gone dark
Other translation says fly
¹⁰Ý = idea

No comments:

Post a Comment